Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Fat Ethiopian on her Mother's 9th Death Anniversary

January 13, 2000...
It is difficult to believe that 9 years ago today my mom died.
When I think about my mom I think about the tattoo that she had across her chin. This was always one of the first things that people would ask about. The story goes that she stole the money, .15 cents, from her parents and secretly got the tattoo. Too bad it was on her face! Just a little hard to hid!
I think about her teeth. She always liked to brag that her side of the family had the straight teeth while my dad's side had the crooked teeth.
I think about her crazy henna hair. She always would dye her hair midnight black and then as the gray roots grew back, she would dye them bright red!
I think about her strength, her warmth and famous carrot cake. Her smile and her laugh. Her frustrations with the American way of life. Her love of Another World (you take me away...to Another World). I think about her crazy feet and toenails. Her beautifully kept fingernails.
Her silent rebellions against my dad, like bringing the TV back out when he put it away for the summer and the way she would say his first name if something was wrong. "Buddy!"
She was full of life and spirit. And when she learned to drive she would wait for the streets to be completely clear before she would cross traffic because, "She wasn't going to kill herself just because someone was honking their horn!"
I remember I asked her if she had any regrets one day in the hospital. I guess we knew that she was dieing, but didn't fully understand what that meant. She responded that she wished she could of bought me Guess Jeans and Nike sneakers. I wanted her to say that she wished she would've let me shave my armpits and wear a bra before the 8th grade!
Yet, even if she had, January 13, 2000 would've still come along. Somehow all of the Guess Jeans and Nike sneakers in the world couldn't fit into the whole in my heart.
So mom, if you are listening and you can read this, I love you and I miss you!
Thank you for being yourself and loving all of us the way you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment